Cruising Back to 1912



We always have at least one date night a week (where we go out to eat instead of cook). On this particular night, we went to Longhorn Steakhouse, since we had a gift card. I loaded up on cheese fries and even more fries, because you never can have quite enough. Also, you can't forget about the steak. It's a steakhouse after all!

Since the Polar Vortex has came and gone, round two is finally here. We finally got a real snow, which we hardly ever seem to have.




A day later and there was even more snow.


Back in 2005 or 2006, I went to the Titanic exhibit with my boyfriend at the time in Columbus, Ohio. It was probably the coolest exhibit that I have ever seen. So, imagine my surprise that eight or nine years later, it was in my city. My husband had never seen it, but he heard me talk about it. We decided to go before it left.

"The Exhibition has been designed with a focus on the legendary RMS Titanic’s compelling human stories as best told through over 125 authentic artifacts and extensive room re-creations.  Perfume from a maker who was traveling to New York to sell his samples, china etched with the logo of the elite White Star Line, even a even a pair of almost perfectly preserved men’s dress shoes -- these and many other authentic objects offer haunting, emotional connections to lives abruptly ended or forever altered.
Visitors are quickly drawn back in time to 1912 upon entrance, as each receives a replica boarding pass of an actual passenger aboard Titanic. They then begin their chronological journey through the life of the Titanic, moving through the Ship’s construction, to life on board, to the ill-fated sinking and amazing artifact rescue efforts. They will marvel at the re-created First and Third class cabins, and press their palms against an iceberg while learning of countless stories of heroism and humanity. In the “Memorial Gallery” guests will take their boarding pass to the memorial wall and discover whether their passenger and traveling companions survived or perished. "---via


When you enter the exhibit, they give you a replica of a ticket that was actual given to passengers on the Titanic. On the other side, it had information about a person, location, why they were on the Titanic, a small bio, what class they were, etc. At the end of the exhibit, there is a huge wall that has all of the passengers' names on it. You can then see if you lived or died.

Back in 2005 or 2006, my person was in second class. She was a model from Paris, who was having an affair with a man that was a movie director. He had over 100,000 hours of film that perished when the Titanic sank. My person died along with the man that she was having an affair with.

When we went last week, I got to relive it once again. On my boarding pass, I was a lady from Paris. Her and her husband were avid dog lovers and owned a kennel in Paris. They founded the French Bulldog Club in Paris, and were.involved in the Toy Spaniel Club of America. I was traveling with my husband, and we were first class. On my husband's boarding pass, he was a man from Belgium that was in third class. He was planning to work as a farmhand helping harvest sugar beets on farms in Southern Michigan. He intended to stay as long as the beet season was before returning home to Belgium. His father made wooden shoes and offered him the family business, but wanted to pursue something else. His person perished in the Titanic.

via
via 
via
via 
via
via
via
You could actually feel the "iceberg," so you could tell how cold the water actually was. Most people died from hypothermia and not from drowning.

via
These were actually found just like this; all in a row.


via
Third class cabins.
via
First class cabins.

via

The "Memorial Wall" of the survivors and the lost.
via
via


You weren't allowed to take pictures; not even with your phone (sad face), so I included the ones I found via online for memories.

Did you know the co-owner of Macy's department store (Isidor Straus) was on the Titanic, along with his wife? Did you also know in the movie, Titanic that the elderly couple that is lying on the bed together when the ship is sinking is based on them!

Since women and children were allowed on the lifeboats first, his wife had a place on the boat. Her husband was granted an exception and allowed on the boat. However, he didn't want to take the place of a potential woman or child so he refused. His wife refused to leave her husband, so she stayed with him. They both perished in the sinking of the Titanic.



If you ever get the chance to go... DO IT!



Linking up with:
Funday Monday with Lipgloss and CrayonsMonday Morning Gossip with Join the Gossip, Mingle Monday with Life of Meg

24 comments :

Chicago Girl said...

Looks like a great exhibit! I love going to museums-I will have to look this up!

Lisette said...

This sounds amazing! My husband and I would love to do something like this!

Kiki said...

What a sad and sweet story! This looks like a great exhibit I would love to visit.

Lauren said...

I saw this in Las Vegas and I thought it was SO cool! Did they have the balcony where you could feel the ocean air, too? It is such a great exhibit but I agree, a bummer about no photos.

Ashlee Bartley said...

I've always wanted to go to the Titanic museum in the Smoky Mountains. It sounds so interesting!

http://ashleenikol.com

Rebecca Jo said...

This is all so interesting to me.. I'd love to see that exhibit.

Rachel said...

Wasn't that so cool and interesting? I think that the exhibit was very well done!

Elizabeth, The Young Retiree said...

Oh man! This came to San Diego and we kept meaning to go, but never made it! That must have been so moving to get to really experience it with a real person- their life, their legacy, their story! How cool! Sad that you weren't allowed to take pictures though! BOO!

Melissa said...

This looks amazing…and it's definitely the type of thing that I'd love to see someday! I'll just have to force the husband :)

Mëlissa Bakër said...

Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed reading this post.

Megan @ InnerHappiness said...

When I went to Kansas City over the summer last year, they had the exhibit. I made my friend go with me. I LOVED it!!

Judy Davis said...

Love all the pics, felt like I was there myself! Thanks!!

Mrs.B said...

That looks so awesome!

I love your coat btw.

Karen M. Peterson said...

I went to this exhibit a few months ago in Southern California and loved it. Fascinating. It's really well put together.

Jen said...

The Titanic exhibits are so amazing!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Dangit! The exhibit had been in my area for awhile and I totally missed it. I'm bummed. I'll keep an eye out for next time.

The snow pics look pretty, but freezing. It's weird in SoCal, our flowers are blooming!

Thanks for linking up :)

Ashley said...

so jealous!! that looks awesome! i love the titanic! thanks for sharing all your pics!

Kara said...

I saw the exhibit in St. Louis maybe 6 or 7 years ago. It was really neat.

Kathryn B said...

I love Steak and a good steak restaurant! I have actually just learned how to grill it, good thing it's too out of my budget or I would be eating steak like once a week. :)
I would LOVE to see the Titanic exhibit!!!! I loved the movie and learned a ton about it. How Awesome!

Cece said...

That is soooo cool!! I would so love to see that exhibit. Hooray for date night!! Glad you keep it up.

Sandy said...

We went to the one here in Vegas. Very cool.

Melzie at Ribbons and Rotor Blades said...

How cool!!! I need to see if this is coming anywhere near me! I'm so fascinated by this history

Dina Farmer said...

Oh my gosh how cool and how amazing!!!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

That's so great you were able to go to the exhibit even in the snow. I've been to the museum in TN and to the traveling exhibit in Las Vegas and it was very neat to see the stuff they had recovered.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...