Operation: Take Control


Be happy. Pay off your debt.


I'm going to pay off my debt, as in credit card debt. I'm for real this time. I've been saying it forever, but not really gave it 110% effort. I won't say the exact amount, but it's five digits. Haha. I know that really narrows it down a lot. I haven't used them in over a year. For real though, I'm going to pay them ALL off in ONE year.

I've ALREADY made a PLAN. If successful, which I plan to be, I will blog about the success at the end, or I might as I go along. I haven't really decided yet. 

It's totally doable, but I have to stick with the plan that I created (which is the one that will work the best for me). I am going to diligently stick to my plan and not give up. 

Sidenote: I have downloaded the Mint.com app. I have all of my credit card accounts linked on it. It tells you how much you owe, when payments are due, how much debt you have left to pay, what stores you shop at the most, where you money goes (music, beauty, etc) and more. It's pretty handy, and best of all? It's free. If you have any debt of any kind or want to track the purchases from your debit card, I suggest you download it!

Another app that is EVEN better is Pay Off Debt by Parallel Focus LLC. This one is $2.99, but I highly recommend it.

Both are available in iTunes and the Google Market (for Droid users).

Back to my plan...

I could have had this accomplished or well on my way, if I had worked this entire year. Well, it is really hard to say looking back; hindsight is 20/20. However, working my previous hellacious aka drag you down aka single me out aka stressful aka on call 24/7 job (not my last one)... um, no way!!

I used to help people with creating budgets for their households, so creating a budget is NOT a problem. I could do one in my sleep. It isn't like I was living above my means or anything now. I was just paying for all the stupid mistakes and careless decisions that I made years ago aka spending $600 eating out in one month and so on. I (almost) wish I had at least bought more expensive clothes or purses or shoes, so I could have something to show for it. Sadly, not much. I hope you can see my sarcasm, but seriously. We live and learn.

I was hoping my job as a Sales Consultant at the car dealer would pan out, because you can easily make $3000, $5000, etc. depending on the commission, bonuses, etc. Some make $15,000 a month. Sadly, it didn't work the way I planned.

After my credit cards are paid off, I'm going to start paying off on my school loans. Confession time, okay? I honestly wish I had NEVER EVER gotten my master's degree. I'm NOT talking about because of the money aspect. I'm just not 100% into the degree, as in I am not actively seeking a career in it. I mean, if it was to happen, great. If not, then that's great too. See, I'm more a creative person (makeup, hair, photography). I loved meeting the people I did and friendships that I have, while getting my master's degree, but the whole $50,000 and not wanting to use it. Ehh.. That really doesn't sit well with me.

I don't really need anyone to ask, "Why did you get your master's degree and into debt, if you weren't going to use it?" I have been judged enough already. People are allowed to change your minds, you know? That's what I did, so sue me. I would rather be happy doing a "job," (I hate that word. Ugh), rather than unhappy. There's already enough unhappy people in the world.

The plan that I made to pay off my credit cards (debt free by December 2013) is a plan that accounts me for NOT working. I'm not saying that I won't work, but it is kind of hard creating a plan, if you aren't working and on unemployment. I'm just using common sense, people. The plan is not counting for money that I may receive for holidays, birthday, possibly tax time (crosses my fingers). Better yet? If  I win the lottery. You have to play? Shit. If I do get a job, then I will figure it out accordingly. Hopefully, I can make side money from selling stuff, possibly opening an etsy shop, and starting up my photography business again.

Too bad that I can't be the next "Save Karyn," but Karyn Bosnak, homegirl beat me to it. Now, if only I had thought of that.


Debt free me by the end of 2013, bring it on!


Xoxoxo

11 comments :

Ashlee :) said...

Good luck girl! I'm striving for the same goal. And I can definitely relate on the degree thing, except mine is my bachelor's degree. Now I'm not sure if I want a Master's or just want to do a different bachelor's. College = UGH.

Margaret F said...

So glad that you have a solid plan to accomplish this. I don't have any credit card debt (a couple hundred dollars, actually), but my fiance and I do have some student loans :/ I have heard about the mint app a few times, I seriously need to look into it! Have a great day! Xo

Erinn C.D. said...

I don't have a credit card but MAN do I have student loans. and my degree is basically glorified people watching so it's hard for some to understand why I would put myself that far in debt for something like that. I like to tell them that while I"m not getting paid a lot and using my degree, I still use it every day in one way or another. Without those loans I would not have been able to afford the school I went to and probably wouldn't have met my husband. The experiences I got because of those loans makes them worth every single dollar I'll have to pay back which matters more to me then the degrees usfulness.
My big plan is to get one part of my loans at least 2/3rds of the way paid off. It's going to be tough but like you, I have a plan that will work for me (I hope!) and get me to my goal. Good luck with your goal and I look forward to reading about your progress :)
--Erinn

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Good luck girl! If it makes you feel better I'm in the same boat about the 5 figures in credit card debt. I also have my mortgage and my car loan! My goal this coming year is to get my car paid off and work on my credit cards!! Maybe we can keep each other going?!

Jen said...

You can do it!!!! :) Just stick to your plan and you will be successful.

KatyK said...

I have a small credit card debt, and a mountain of student loans. I literally don't think about it ever, because when I do I realize that I'll be paying them off until my daughter is in college. I realize I need to just deal with it but boy it makes me crazy. Ideally I'd like to have my credit card paid off by feb, and my car within 18mos. That way I can start snowballing those payments onto my loans,

Sofia Donatelli said...

What a GREAT post!! Tis the season for people to rack up their debit, but I like what you are doing for your readers. This is a great post and blog.
There are so many ways how we can spend the holidays with loved ones that we don't have to get in a deeper hole.

If you get a sec, I'd love if you'd check out my latest.
xo
Sofia

stylishlyinlove.blogspot.com

Cece said...

CC debt is the devil in my book. You will feel so free once you are done with it. Just stick to your plan.

Claire Kiefer said...

I can't say I regret getting my Master's, but . . . I'll just say it: I have 91k of student loan debt (between undergrad and grad school). It's so overwhelming, especially since I work in nonprofit education. I am going to look into the app you recommended, though--finances are not my forte, so I can use any help I can get.

Melanie said...

Get it, girl! I found your blog from the guest post on I Wore Yoga Pants to Work.
Do you know about Rodan & Fields? I am a Rodan & Fields consultant. It's a great way to make money and work around your own schedule. My business website is www.melaniecrawford.myrandf.biz
Feel free to email me if you have any questions or are interested in becoming an R & F consultant.
melaniecrawford1@gmail.com
Love your blog!

tata sifra said...

http://payingoffcreditcarddebt.org/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...